RurAL CAP provides weatherization services to homes in northern and western Alaska, Juneau and Anchorage. Weatherization is the Planning and Construction Division’s longest-standing program. The focus of weatherization is to increase the energy-efficiency, safety, comfort and life expectancy of the homes. A customized assessment is made of each home to determine what improvements will best meet these goals.
Typical improvements include the caulking and sealing of windows and doors, adding insulation to walls, floors and ceilings, and improving the efficiency of heating systems. By making homes more energy-efficient, families spend less for heating, freeing up more household income for other basic necessities, expenditures which help support local economies.
2017-18 Weatherization Communities
Northwest Arctic Region
Bering Straits Region
Western Wade Hampton Region
Western Bethel Region
|2016 Weatherization Communities
- Weatherized 496 homes in 8 communities
- 154 homes weatherized in 6 rural communities
- 58 units weatherized in Juneau
- 284 units weatherized in Anchorage
- 288 homes served by the weatherization program increased their energy rating by at least two stars.
- 496 weatherization customers received client education on energy conservation, awareness of energy-wasters in the home.
- 68 seniors and Alaskans who experience disabilities were assisted through the Senior Access and the DHSS Home Modifications programs.
- Due to the rapidly-growing proportion of seniors in Alaska, coupled with deteriorating housing conditions in rural communities, RurAL CAP has layered four separate programs – Weatherization, Senior Access, Home Modifications and USDA 504 grants – in communities where Weatherization services were already underway.
RurAL CAP manages a state program administered by Alaska Housing Finance Corporation that offers free weatherization services for low and middle-income residents in western and northern Alaska, the Municipality of Anchorage and the City and Borough of Juneau. An Anchorage family of four with income up to $84,900 qualifies.
Weatherization will save you money, improve the energy-efficiency, safety, comfort, air quality, and life expectancy of your home at no cost to you!
Common improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Insulating attics, crawl spaces, and ceilings
- Proper ventilation to improve air quality
- Improving heating system efficiency
- Installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Air sealing and caulking
RurAL CAP’s Anchorage Weatherization Program
731 East 8th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501
(907) 279-2511 phone
(907) 865-7294 fax
Download the 2016 RurAL CAP Weatherization Program Fact Sheet (PDF).
For questions about weatherization services in Alaska that you cannot locate within this website, please visit the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s website for listings of weatherization agencies across the state or see our listing of weatherization agencies and regional housing authorities by clicking here.