RurAL CAP provides weatherization services to homes northern and western Alaska, Juneau and Anchorage. Weatherization is the division’s longest-standing program. The focus of weatherization is to increase the energy-efficiency, safety, comfort and life expectancy of the homes. A customized assessment is made of each home to determine what improvements will best meet these goals.
Typical improvements include the caulking and sealing of windows and doors, adding insulation to walls, floors and ceilings, and improving the efficiency of heating systems. By making homes more energy-efficient, families spend less for heating, freeing up more household income for other basic necessities, expenditures which help support local economies.
Open enrollment is ongoing for the communities of Mountain Village, Anchorage and Juneau, and we still have a few slots available for our 2015 season in Kotzebue. Hurry and apply today!
2015 Weatherization Communities
- Weatherized 567 homes in 11 communities and provided employment for 151 rural residents
- 146 homes weatherized in 9 rural communities
- 50 units weatherized in Juneau
- 371 units weatherized in Anchorage
- Completed 35 home modifications for persons with disabilities (25 were in the Northwest region).
- Hired and trained 46 rural Weatherization field employees.
- Equipped every weatherized home with a new smoke detector and customer education in its use and maintenance.
- Provided air sealing and ventilation measures in every weatherized home.
- Produced an educational video on the importance of proper home ventilation. Improper home ventilation can lead to deterioration of the structures at a faster rate. Excess moisture in the home may cause upper respiratory health issues for people living in the home.
RurAL CAP manages a state program administered by Alaska Housing Finance Corporation that offers free weatherization services for low and middle-income residents in western and northern Alaska, the Municipality of Anchorage, and the City and Borough of Juneau. An Anchorage family of four with income up to $84,900 qualifies.
Weatherization will save you money, improve the energy-efficiency, safety, comfort, air quality, and life expectancy of your home at no cost to you!
Common improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Insulating attics, crawl spaces, and ceilings
- Proper ventilation to improve air quality
- Improving heating system efficiency
- Installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Air sealing and caulking
Find out more about weatherization in your area by clicking on the Weatherization offices (at right) or by contacting us at:
RurAL CAP’s Anchorage Weatherization Program
557 E. Fireweed Lane, Suite D
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 771-7800 phone
(907) 771-7890 fax
For questions about weatherization services in Alaska that you cannot locate within this website, please visit the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s website for listings of weatherization agencies across the state or see our listing of weatherization agencies and regional housing authorities by clicking here.