RurAL CAP provides weatherization services to homes northern and western Alaska, Juneau and Anchorage. Weatherization is the division’s longest-standing program. The focus of weatherization is to increase the energy-efficiency, safety, comfort and life expectancy of the homes. A customized assessment is made of each home to determine what improvements will best meet these goals.
Typical improvements include the caulking and sealing of windows and doors, adding insulation to walls, floors and ceilings, and improving the efficiency of heating systems. By making homes more energy-efficient, families spend less for heating, freeing up more household income for other basic necessities, expenditures which help support local economies.
2014 Weatherization Communities
Anchorage, Chevak, Eek, Juneau, Kotzebue, Nome, Shaktoolik and Unalakleet
- Weatherized 1,190 homes in 10 communities and provided employment for 151 rural residents
- 231 homes weatherized in 8 rural communities
- 161 units weatherized in Juneau
- 798 units weatherized in Anchorage
- Homeowners saved $1,509,680 on heating and electric bills after receiving weatherization services, based on an average annual savings of $1,336 per unit
- Equipped weatherization homes with 3,109 smoke detectors, 1,366 carbon monoxide sensors and 778 fire extinguishers
- Completed 25 home modification projects for persons with disabilities
- Serviced, repaired and replaced 721 heating units
- Created video to educate consumers on the importance of maintaining proper home ventilation and indoor air quality
- Provided home energy conservation education to every weatherization customer
Rural Alaska Community Action Program, Inc. (RurAL CAP), manages a state program administered by Alaska Housing Finance Corporation that offers free weatherization services for low and middle-income residents in western and northern Alaska, the Municipality of Anchorage, and the City and Borough of Juneau. An Anchorage family of four with income up to $87,800 qualifies.
Weatherization will save you money, improve the energy-efficiency, safety, comfort, air quality, and life expectancy of your home at no cost to you!
Common improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Insulating attics, crawl spaces, and ceilings
- Proper ventilation to improve air quality
- Improving heating system efficiency
- Installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Air sealing and caulking
RurAL CAP’s Anchorage Weatherization Program
557 E. Fireweed Lane, Suite D
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 771-7800 phone
(907) 771-7890 fax
For questions about weatherization services in Alaska that you cannot locate within this website, please visit the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s website for listings of weatherization agencies across the state or see our listing of weatherization agencies and regional housing authorities by clicking here.